FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is responsible for licensing and inspections of permanent and mobile retail food establishments. Food license is permission granted by FSSAI. It is one of the primary requirements for running a restaurant or food establishments. It is 14 digit registration numbers which is mandatory in all instances where food is commercially handled or served to the general public. All the food business operators before starting any restaurant or food establishments must obtain Food license from FSSAI. The term of food License varies from one year to five years. The Intent of Food license is to further protect consumers from unsafe food through control and improve accountability of food business operators. Operating a restaurant or food establishments without a license will be treated as a legal offense and this would invite penalties and fines.
There are Three Types of Fssai License
- Basic Registration – Basic registration is required for those who involve in petty and small-sized food business. They just need basic registration and after that they can start their business. The Basic registration is issued by the State Government. If sales increase in the future, basic registration can be upgraded to state license.
- Central FSSAI License – It is issued by the Central Government. Importers, Exporter, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies etc are required to obtain a Central Food License.
- State FSSAI License – It is issued by the State Government. Small to medium sized manufacturers, storage units, retailers, marketers, distributors etc. are required to obtain the State food License.
Advantage of Food License
- Legal Benefit : Most of the food business operators think that food license is a high priced and time consuming process. Therefore, they always try to avoid getting the license but the process is not so difficult. Sometimes, the actual cost of getting the license is less as compared to the penalties which have to pay for not taking the license. Thus it is advisable by Indiastartupbiz to get the license before any delay.
- Increase in Consumer confidence : In today’s world, consumers have become more aware about the standard of food. With the increasing of the healthy eating food options, people want to eat which is not just safe but must be really of good standard. Thus, food license helps you to increase in Consumer confidence for your brand.
- Funding :- Funding is the backbone of the any business. In certain stage of every business, we need funds for business expansion. The food license is one of the most important document for the food business operator to get the loan from banks and other financial institutions. However, food license is not only document which will facilitate the loan but other financial documents are also required.
- Business from Big Corporate houses :- Nowadays, getting business from big corporate houses isn’t easy for a restaurant or food establishments due to stringent regulations. Apart from the other documents, food license is also required to get the business from these big corporate houses