A trademark is a brand name, logo, label, symbol or slogan to indicate the goods or services and to separate them from others in the industry. It allows consumers to recognise a product and protect them from misled. Words and pictures are the common forms of trademark, but other types of signs can also be registered as a trademark. The primary purpose of the trademark laws is to prevent unfair use and providing rights and remedies to the owner of the trademark.
BENEFITS TO REGISTER A TRADEMARK
- Registering a trademark protects the product from being used without permission of the owner
- A registered trademark provides official notice to other that a trademark is already registered with the trademark authorities.
- Registering a trademark reduces the chances of another party claiming that your trademark belongs to them.
- A registered trademark will appear in trademark search reports, probably discouraging others from going with the registration of the same mark
- In cases of copying or infringement, unregistered trademarks offer limited protection. Therefore it is highly recommendable to register the trademark as earliest as possible.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TRADEMARK REGISTRATION
- Identity proof (Passport/ Voter Identity Card/ Aadhaar Card/ Driving License) of the trademark owner.
- User Affidavit
Note: In case of legal entity, then partnership deed or incorporation certificate is required.